Getting Started with WordPress, an IndieWebCamp Pop-up Session
This will be a broad-based introduction to the IndieWeb session specifically focused on using WordPress. Our aim is to help people get set up and running a self-hosted IndieWeb-based website with WordPress though some of our discussion will work for WordPress.com versions as well.
- Grab a cup of coffee and get an IndieWeb site up and running in just a few hours.
- Have questions or problems with your current WordPress IndieWeb site? Stop by and get some help.
- Just figuring out what IndieWeb is about? Much of what we'll discuss is applicable to other platforms and may be useful to other beginners as well.
- All levels of experience welcome
- (Note: for those without a domain registered or web hosting, we may have a brief pre-session to help you out so we can be more productive during the main session.)
- Installing Themes and Plugins
- Notifications/Webmentions for site-to-site communication
- IndieAuth, an oAuth extension, which allows you to use your website to log into other services
- A variety of Micropub clients for more easily posting a variety of content to your website
- WebSub for real-time communications
- Syndication methods to other sites including POSSE and PESOS as well as syndication links
- Pulling replies/responses out of social media and back to your original post using Brid.gy
- Post Kinds Plugin for posting replies, likes, favorites, watches, listens, reads, etc. to your website
- Integrating social readers into your website to allow you to read, write, and respond to the social web
- Notes for the session will take place at: https://etherpad.indieweb.org/WordPressQuickStart
- Create week: Following the session, we'll give people a chance to create something for their site to do remote demos.
- Demos: When we're done, we'll have a short online demo session so people can show off the new sites and maybe demo their favorite functionality.
by Chris Aldrich on Jul 29, 2020
by Nathan on Jul 25, 2020