Domain of One's Own Meetup (September 2020)
Everyone who is interested in the topic is welcome to attend.
We expect there will be students, teachers, designers, web developers, technologists, and people of all ages and ranges of ability from those just starting out with a domain to those running DoOO programs at colleges or even people running their own hosting companies.
We'll meet via Zoom for audio/video and will use an Etherpad for real-time chat and note taking for the event. (Notes for the meetup's etherpad were archived on the wiki.)
- Have discussions about A Domain of One's Own and the independent web;
- Get to know others in the space;
- Find potential collaborators for domains-related projects you're working on;
- Explore new and interesting ideas about what one can do or accomplish with a personal domain;
- Create or update your domain
- Ask colleagues for help/advice on problems or issues you're having with your domain;
- Welcome/Brief introductions
- Main topic: This summer Reclaim Hosting launched Reclaim Cloud, but for many new and established Domains users, the "cloud" has been a nebulous buzzword with unclear meanings. In this meeting we'll talk about what it is and why it might be important for gaining greater control over your personal cyberinfrastructure.
- Group photo for those who wish to participate
- Demos, questions, problems:
Ideally everyone should bring a topic, short demonstration of something they've built or gotten working on their website, a question, or problem to discuss with the group. Depending on time and interest, we can try to spend 5-10 minutes discussing and providing feedback on each of these. If questions go over this time limitation, we can extend the conversation in smaller groups as necessary after the meetup.
To RSVP to the meetup, please (optionally) do one of the following:
- Make a comment to indicate your attendance at the original event post;
- Tweet your RSVP reply to this Tweet;
- Comment your RSVP on the Reclaim Hosting Community post about the event;
- RSVP to the event on events.indieweb.org
- Extra bonus points if you can go full Domain of One's Own and Publish an indie RSVP on your own website/domain and send a webmention to this post.
While the time frame for this meetup may work best for some in the Americas, everyone with interest is most welcome. If there are others in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, or other locales who are interested, do let us know what dates/times might work for you in the future and we can try to organize a time to maximize some attendance there. I'm happy to help anyone who'd like to take the leadership of other time zones or locales to leverage some of the resources of the IndieWeb community to assist in starting future meetings to cover other areas of the world.
Have a topic idea for discussion at the next session? Drop us a line by adding a comment to this post or one of the syndicated copies, ping me in chat, or track me down on your platform and means of communication of choice.
Invite your friends, colleagues, and students
Know someone who would be interested in joining? Please forward this event, or one of the syndicated copies to them on your platform or modality of choice.
by Chris Aldrich on Sep 22, 2020
by Chris Aldrich on Sep 4, 2020